[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Lincoln Dale ltd at arista.com
Mon Jul 21 12:03:58 EST 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Jacob Gardiner <jacob at jacobgardiner.com>
wrote:

> On 21 July 2014 at 11:18:36 am, Mark Newton (newton at atdot.dotat.org)
> wrote:
>
> The Government is entirely impotent in this area.  They cannot force an
> offshore provider to make decisions which are suboptimal to their business.
>
> This is exactly where the mindset needs to change.
>
> If the Government wants a business like Netflix and many others to invest
> into Australia’s market then there should be incentives to do so.

umm. Just exactly what do you think the 'government' gets out of Netflix
and others offering services in Australia? And what makes you think thats
"investing in Australia" ?

Employees in Australia? Not likely. At least not any more than they would
otherwise have.

Equipment in Australia? Possibly. But I can pretty much guarantee that not
a single physical thing inside a server, disk, NIC or switch has been
manufactured in Australia.

Netflix buying more of that 'stuff' may indirectly contribute to suppliers
to Netflix, but likely that doesn't magically result in more tax $ to the
Australian Government or magically promote 'investment' in Australia.
You think otherwise?