[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Jul 21 06:03:33 EST 2014

Hi,

On 20 Jul 2014, at 00:28, "Joshua D'Alton" <joshua at railgun.com.au> wrote:
> Firstly, if netflix just does local cache with the top ISPs by volume/subscriber

Can't speak for them (I'm just a delighted peer, customer and IX partner :-) ) but that's not what this particular network do elsewhere in the world. What would cause a more restrictive policy in .au? Serious question, I'm keen to know.

A sane CDN's goal is happy content makers, the bar to get your own CDN cache is normally remarkably low. The bar for public peering is the floor. Some CDNs hold the content to ransom to help balance peering ratios. I'd wager more customer churn and price driven demand on those CDNs.. Netflix do a great job of pushing content to eyeballs in my experience.

Andy