[AusNOG] SRV Records

Peter Lawler ausnog at bleeter.id.au
Wed Jul 16 09:08:18 EST 2014

On 15/07/14 18:41, ANSA SERVERS wrote:

> So what exactly are these SRV records and what are they used for

One thing they're used for: http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/SRV_Records

iirc from my XMPP hacking days (some time ago now so things are a little
scratchy), blocking SRV was a cheap and nasty yet effective way (to
attempt) to block a number of Instant Messaging services without having
to bother with all that fiddly stuff 'lower' down. As I say, iirc, a
number of people with 'your software sucks' errors turned out to be
campuses where SRV wasn't passed.

(random bonus thought via bugger all coffee) No idea if blocking SRV
will kill things evolved out of those protocols that required them which
may be of some business benefit over 'basic' IM (eg Google Talk->Google
Hangouts). I guess YMMV depending on what you use your network for.

Pete.