[AusNOG] Village Roadshow confirms Netflix coming to Australia

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:45:48 EST 2014

Maybe Netflix picked the wrong country

    TrueNet June 2014 Urban Broadband Report

    Australia Internet Speed Falls Well Behind: NZ 9 v Aussie 3

New Zealand median speed for ADSL is 9Mb/s but for Australia it was just
3Mb/s in TrueNet's June results.

Copper services in NZ include VDSL over FTTN, so the difference is much
greater. A substantial 2% growth in fibre probes occurred in June with 9
probes upgrading from DSL.

TrueNet now has 420 probes with 74 of those on UFB fibre and 90 on VDSL,
nearly all volunteer upgrades from ADSL. The premium UFB fibre product
continues to fall below the advertised speed of 100Mb/s for most users.

Link to report here
<https://www.truenet.co.nz/articles/june-2014-urban-broadband-report>.

"/Australian ISPs do not have the "luxury" of cabinets, or VDSL, or
FTTN, so speeds are A LOT slower on average than NZ.  To show the
difference, Chart 7 compares the distribution of tests on ADSL between
NZ and Australia, as well as VDSL in NZ. /

/Results from our Australian test probes show speeds predominantly in
the 2-5Mb/s range with NZ test probes more evenly distributed in the the
6-14 Mb/s range. /"

Unsubscribe from this newsletter
<http://www.www.truenet.co.nz/var/www/drupal-site-truenet/scripts/newsletter/confirm/remove/82f12dd5f8331t16>

---