[AusNOG] Village Roadshow confirms Netflix coming to Australia

James McMillan JMcMillan at rivalea.com.au
Tue Jul 15 15:13:14 EST 2014

Sure you would need 800+ customers simultaneously streaming a SD stream, but once we look into the higher resolutions it doesn’t seem that unreasonable to hit.

According to Netflix, their HD streams use 3GB per hour for HD, 4.7GB per hour for 3D and 7GB per hour for 4k.

3GB per hour = 6.82 Mbps = 293 customers simultaneously
4.7GB per hour = 10.69 Mbps = 187 customers simultaneously
7GB per hour = 15.92 Mbps = 125 customers simultaneously

Obviously not all users will be using HD or above, but it would be crazy to expect no one to be using the higher resolutions.

James