[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Pieter Hulshoff phulshof at aimvalley.nl
Mon Jul 14 18:55:33 EST 2014

On 10-7-2014 20:45, Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> On 10-07-14 09:22, Lincoln Dale wrote:
>> alas, i'm under NDA so cannot say anything.
>> but the physical size needs to be substancially less than what is
>> described to fit inside a SFP+ and maybe you've not realized the size
>> of MagJacks?
>
> Thanks for the warning; I'll have our hardware department take a look
> at the different solutions. It's quite possible that today's chips
> won't give a solution just yet, but looking at the development over
> the last 2 years I'd say it should get there eventually.

Our hardware department believes they may be able to build such a
device, though the cable range will have to be determined, and of course
we're talking dedicated hardware development here. Assuming they are
right, the question re-emerges: could a business case be created for
such a device? How often do operators run into these connection problems?

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff

--
*Pieter Hulshoff*