[AusNOG] BlackLotus Discontinue Free Guardian Service

Oliver Ransom oliver at ransomit.com.au
Mon Jul 14 09:40:32 EST 2014

Hi All,

Depending on your traffic patterns I'd suggest network
providers or end users of providers who use services like Black
Lotus do some serious investigation into how attacks or
permanent DDOS mitigation from Black Lotus (or any other
provider for that matter) can affect overall traffic throughput
(and latency due to major routing changes). All the sales talk
and glowing feedback aside as an end customer of colocation and
transit service whose services in one POP have DDOS mitigation
by Black Lotus I would be wary about suggesting them to
everyone.

For example if you just run a webhosting company or something
and do a lot of outbound traffic then their mitigation could be
fantastic, but if you run a service where you have heavy
inbound data transfers as well or an otherwise more balanced
traffic profile then based on my findings and testing services
like Black Lotus can significantly slow down or degrade
transfer speeds. I don't have access to the exact reports or
settings that protect my network (in this case a /24 advertised
by one of my colocation providers) however it appears that if
you are attacked and the protection is "tightened" throughput
can drop to levels below 20% of what you might otherwise expect
to see.

Speaking with other industry contacts (some who take part in
this mailing list as well) I get the impression with traffic
levels well under 100mbit DDOS mitigation services should not
degrade throughput more than 5%, increases in latency aside due
to routing over some California POP or wherever else aside if
the reality was that throughput was decreased by 5% only it'd
probably be acceptable but my experience is far worse than
this.

For what it's worth my concerns have been raised with my
provider and we are working through the issue; but I felt it
might help others to know that these services can have
substantial negative affects as well.

I am happy to share more details about my testing and
experience; just ask if you're interested.

Regards,

Oliver

--
Oliver Ransom