[AusNOG] "The NBN" will run on copper for *ever*

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sun Jul 13 14:10:52 EST 2014

On 11/07/2014 9:19 PM, John Lindsay wrote:

> What actually happened was the competitive DSLAM operators refused to allow Telstra to remonopolise the copper CAN downstream of nodes.
> Now we have a federal government that is prepared to do that so the landscape has changed.
> Except the loser this time will be Telstra, who must be having a good old ponder about things about now.

Perhaps.
First Telstra extract $9bill NPV from taxpayers for use of ducts, exchange space and
dark fibre, and compensation for future profits they can no longer earn from renting
out the copper lines - and Telstra get to keep the copper wires (but not use them) to
perhaps let rot or perhaps extract for scrap metal value at USD $7.16 per kilogram.

Now they get to negotiate for extra money  for NBN to rent the use of the copper wires
that they were previously going to scrap, and ponder being touted as the logical
experienced organisation to be awarded the contracts (for additional revenue) to build
the copper-based network portions.

I'm sure Telstra are pondering very closely having their cake and eating it too.