[AusNOG] "The NBN" will run on copper for *ever*

Richard Ham AusNOG rich-lists at edit-co.com
Fri Jul 11 19:43:18 EST 2014

-SNIP-

After playing with VDSL in a closed community I think it may be a lot more
technical....

We found that the close-end (exchange/mdf end) interference was significant
and reduced the reliability/speed of each uplink once more than 5 or so
circuits were lit up. The frequency and power required was a problem and
pair-to-pair bleed killed things a bit. I can only imagine what 50+ pairs in
a 250 pair bundle would have looked like.

I'm curious how the techs using higher frequencies than vdsl deal with this
one.

Regards,

Richard
(long time lurker, rarely poster)