[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 14:15:47 EST 2014

I'd disagree; we are looking at installing it not for single user performance, but for multi-user throughput, particularly in semi-dense or dense deployment areas.

A single user has no use (right now) for that sort of bandwidth, but you start throwing a few users on w/ high bitrate applications and the beam forming allows you to realise a lot more of that theoretical bandwidth than before in large deployments.

Even with 80 MHz channels (which you can use those restricted ones if you have the radios that are certified for it with DFS and TPC, giving a total of 4 usable IIRC) you can easily make over 1gbps per user with the multiple streams.

They can also do some cool stuff with split 160 MHz channels, allowing them to join 80 MHz blocks in a staggered fashion to create alternate channels to reduce overlap, but you are still right, it's unlikely to see use in the enterprise space.

As for the 10gbps ports, watch this space, a lot will change in the next few years, we are on the cusp of a new network refresh and will definitely be looking to design for wave 2. Our current 11n wireless is saturated pretty much 99% of the time by student traffic already.

I know a few manufacturers have a lot more 10Gbase-T stuff about to come out, some of them a lot more access focused....

Power wise, you would be hard pressed to find new POE gear these days that didn't do 802.3at. The equipment we are installing now in the interim is 3850 UPOE switches, which can do a full 60w per port. Older deployments will obviously have problems there, but I don't expect many people will be installing AC wave 2 wireless radios without some thought to upgrading the wired equipment behind it anyway....

I definitely agree, it's a niche market at the moment but I think we will all be shocked how quick the ac deployments ramp up once wave 2 drops and there is a compelling reason to upgrade...

Heaps of good info in this btw:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-3600-series/white_paper_c11-713103.html#_Toc331821649

Disclaimer - Obviously wave 2 could turn out to not meet any of these expectations, it's hard to say seeing as I don't have any of the gear yet but for now, it looks useful to me and something we are definitely planning for.

Thanks,
Ayden Beeson