[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu Jul 10 12:38:45 EST 2014

I think that the networks of my customers, from SME to ASX listed
companies, and the many we're asked to touch on a monthly basis are a good
cross-section and sample to evaluate the take up of most technologies.
 We're involved with a mix of core, access, server, storage, etc.

While some of the rack servers have 10/100/1000/10000 ports on them, they
appear because the servers happen to come with them, not because they are
chosen.  That said, in the switching world that almost never happens... in
that you buy a switch and it happens to come with a 10GBase-T ports as
well.  I would suggest that the only 10GBase-T in a network is always
(95%+) there very specifically because it was needed, not that the kit
happen to come with it.

As I said, I love the idea of 10GBase-T... but I am a pragmatist who isn't
looking at financial reports of numbers of ports being shipped, but the
actual usage/uptake and in some cases even awareness... in this way
10GBase-T seems to be like IPv6 :)

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM, James Andrewartha <trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au