[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Peter Tonoli peter at medstv.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 10:43:46 EST 2014

> Re switch availability... I live in a world of enterprise grade, and
> also mainstream vendors. Juniper has 1 switch (that I know), Cisco has
> a few line-cards and mostly higher-end Nexus models (2k - which are
> Fabric extenders, 5596T) and 6500 line-cards... the 4900 has some
> modules, but there is nothing (I think) in the Catalyst 3000 and below
> series.. in fact, even full 10G SFP+ is still rare at this level of
> switching.

> Cisco and Juniper both still have no all 10Gb (SFP+) switches in the
> low end (EX2200, EX3200, C29xx, C3xxx) ranges, much less 10GBase-T.

Personally, I'm happy enough with Twinax, especially with cost where switching is in top-of-rack or in an adjacent rack. Originally, when I started to plan on 10 & 40GB rollouts, I did bemoan the lack of 10GBase-T, however, I don't feel like I've made any compromises due to that lack of choice anymore.

Cheers,
Peter.

--

Peter Tonoli < peter at medstv.unimelb.edu.au > +61-3-9231-2399