[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Lincoln Dale ltd at arista.com
Thu Jul 10 09:59:36 EST 2014

Sorry Skeeve but you've got 3 incorrect statements in a row here.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> The deployment of 10GBase-T ports are so low

This is not correct according to independent analyst market research.
I cannot point you at most recent versions of it but you can see historic
versions of it from e.g. Crehan research at <
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/features/CREHAN_ServerIO_whitepaper.pdf>.

In CY2014 there will almost be as many 10GBASE-T ports shipped as those
SFP+.

> and the switches also rare,

Switches with RJ45 100/1000/10G-T are not rare at all.

> that while it would be nice, I don't see an actual business case, unless
> they were VERY expensive, and then no one would buy them.

For many server vendors, 10GBASE-T is often the lowest capex cost way of
connecting at 10G.
It also provides a nice upgrade path if e.g. not all infrastructure is 10G,
some servers 1G still.

cheers,

lincoln.

Lincoln Dale | Principal Engineer, Arista Networks Inc. | ltd at arista.com
au did: +61 3 9999 7442 | m: +61 417 457 965 | us did: +1 408 547 5782