[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Thu Jul 10 06:47:53 EST 2014

I may be wrong in this however when I have seen this question before I was told that the power needs for pushing 10Gbps over copper cables was greater than what was available over SFP+

Now this may have changed with technology however it may be limited by low demand.

I would imagine given 1Gbps SFP's could use existing Cat5E cables to run gig then they were popular enough to use. At 10Gbps (IIRC) Cat6 is the minimum and therefore lower demand as people may not have that much Cat6 "legacy" cable in place so for short runs they use twinax and for longer they use a fibre patch lead or short run fibre.

Apologies for top posting *mobile device*

Regards

Alexander

Alexander Neilson
Neilson Productions Ltd