[AusNOG] WIFI/Internet on Planes

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 12:33:46 EST 2014

Let's consider:

- Devices must be switched off during takeoff and landing.
- Once an aircraft reaches cruising altitude and you can turn on your
device, it's already in a "regional" area
- ACMA "regional" boundaries allow for cheap spectrum licences in bands not
useful for regular handheld mobile (>3.5Ghz)
- Boeing and Cisco have certified WiFi solutions for inside the plane
- 40Mhz of spectrum in clear air on LTE advanced will give you gigabit
speeds, 100km cell radius, compatibility with existing networks and
handover that is ok with 600km/h
- If you're pointing an antenna "straight up" then it doesn't need a tower,
just some way to keep cows and sheep off it
- NBN is bringing backhaul and connectivity to all regional areas (ok,
maybe this part is stretching belief)
- There are enough flights between Melbourne and Sydney each day to pay for
a national network (minus Perth), based on just a 10% takeup.

VC's feel free to contact me off list ;)

John