[AusNOG] AWS Direct Connect

Bill Walker bill at wjw.co.nz
Tue Jul 8 06:58:39 EST 2014

Hi Skeeve,

We have a AWS Direct Connect via Megaport VxC in Sydney and a
X-Connected Direct Connect in Chicago. With the VxC you only get one
interface on the AWS side, as we need access to both the public and
private side of AWS, we have a Public Interconnect with BGP Peering into
AWS, then we run an IPSec Tunnel over the top to hook into our VPC's. If
I was a service provider I would be purchasing a X-Connect.

Also I had a long chat with an Amazon Solutions Architect about
redundancy and the current supported options are either:

a) 2 x Direct Connects with a private VLAN over each
b) 2 x IPSec Tunnels over the public internet/public peering

We opted to keep the same model everywhere, so we use IPSec tunnels over
public peering. The idea being that if we lose L2 connectivity, the BGP
session will drop and Amazon's prefixes from one of our other IP
Transits will take precedence.

I have the kids today so this is a bit of a ramble, but feel free to
call if you want a chat +64 21 241 7206

Cheers,

Bill