[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Jul 4 11:18:52 EST 2014

On Jul 3, 2014, at 7:06 PM, Gaurab Raj Upadhaya <gaurab at lahai.com> wrote:

> I actually leaked a /64, /56, /48 etc. for a while to look what i
> could get through. In most cases, it'll work, but there are plenty of
> networks it'll fail from, specially coming from Europe.

Given that RIRs allocate /48’s to their members, networks filtering on prefixes longer than /48 are essentially choosing to not have reachability to parts of the internet.

If i was a customer of one of those networks, I’d probably want them to reconsider, and might direct my expenditure towards networks that will provide me with full internet connectivity.  But if they want to do it anyway, that’s their prerogative.

Prefix filtering isn’t some kind of internet purity test.  We actually want the internet to work;  arbitrarily choosing to not see parts of it doesn’t sound like a sustainable position to me.

  - mark