[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 16:45:44 EST 2014

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:59:47 +1000, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 15:47 +1000, Tony wrote:
>> * We allocate a /48 (out of our /32 that we have from APNIC) to customer
>> * customer splits this up as they see fit (hopefully following some
>> rules
>> as to how they allocate subnets)
>> * customer gives devices an IPv6 address out of this /48 on all their
>> devices
>> * all customer devices are now globally addressable
>>
>> So what happens when said customer changes to another SP ?
>
> What the customer did was get provider aggregatable (PA) address space.
> It was probably very cheap, probably even free, but the downside is that
> it is tied to the particular provider. If they change providers, they
> will have to renumber.
>
>> The alternative could be the customer
>> approaches the LIR and gains a /48 from the LIR,
>
> That's "provider independent" (PI) AKA "portable" address space.
>
>>  but wouldn't you then
>> just have every company in the world with their own /48 which would just
>> cause issues with aggregation and routing table size ?
>
> Well, yes and no. PI is the solution for someone who needs multihoming
> or who wants portability. There are lots of people who will be happy to
> use PA, not least because it is usually very cheap. PA will be certainly
> be the default for millions upon millions of homes and small businesses,
> just as it is now. Also, renumbering isn't quite the horrible bugbear it
> used to be, especially if you design with possible renumbering in mind.
> There are other solutions if they really want to push it (1:1 NAT with
> ULA etc) but none have much to recommend them over nice clean PI address
> space, if renumbering is so deeply feared (or so very likely).

I possibly should have been clearer that I was referring to business
customers with potentially a few hundred devices across one or more sites,
not the home or SOHO user with a handful of devices at a single site.

>> In the IPv4 world, this would mean changing DHCP
>> scopes, then changing anything that is manually set ?
>
> Same for IPv6.
>
>> I'm just curious as for anyone who isn't able to get their own globally
>> unique space from a LIR then does [...]
>
> The predicate is wrong. Why would someone not be able to get PI? There
> is a metric shitload of it available.

I note in the APNIC IPv6 eligibility guidelines it says that as an end use
you can apply for PI if (section 9.1.4):

"the network is statically addressed and of a size or complexity that make
renumbering operationally impractical, together with evidence that dynamic
or multiple addressing options are either not available from the relevant
ISP or are unsuitable"

So the solution is that any business that thinks they might be
uncomfortable renumbering IPv6 should apply for a PI /48 ? As previously
mentioned on this thread the costs seems to be in the order of $1200 PA.

Should we be encouraging our business customers that meet this criteria
(multiple sites, few hundred devices) to get IPv6 space from APNIC and
then advertise it for them (for global connectivity) ?

regards,
Tony.