[AusNOG] Thoughts about IP Transit

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Thu Jul 3 12:12:47 EST 2014

On 02/07/14 22:58, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> What I said was the traffic profile changes across the board during
> different peak periods.  Residential peak periods are when kids get home
> from school, and also when school holidays hit.
>
> On a couple of the networks we manage, school holidays traffic can
> increase usage by some 30-50% - which we see disappear once the
> (various) holidays.
>
> If you look closely, private vs public school, you can actually see what
> types have different impacts on the network - btw, Private school
> traffic is about 5-10% above public, perhaps they have faster
> connections/capabilities.. but that would be guessing.

At $JOB[-1] we managed a bunch of primary/secondary education networks
around the world, but they all had a very distinct traffic pattern with
massive spikes (2x or more) at morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea times.

After a while the exact shape of the graphs could easily be used to
identify customers who needed bigger wan links.