[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Thu Jul 3 11:08:20 EST 2014

So Mitchell hit it

The RFC prohibits this. If you already have a /24, I don't think it will cost you any more in APNIC fees to add a /48.
   6to4 prefixes more specific than 2002::/16 must not be propagated in
   native IPv6 routing, to prevent pollution of the IPv6 routing table
   by elements of the IPv4 routing table.  Therefore, a 6to4 site which
   also has a native IPv6 connection MUST NOT advertise its 2002::/48
   routing prefix on that connection, and all native IPv6 network
   operators MUST filter out and discard any 2002:: routing prefix
   advertisements longer than /16.

So are you saying I have to have the ipv4 address available for ipv6 to ipv6 traffic ?

I thought   ( and I could be wrong), but the ipv4 is only used to generate the traffic and to help with 6ot4 traffic but
For example if I want to get from my ipv6 (6to4 ) address to a 2001:: address do I have to go via a 6to4 if I have a route for 2001:: via a ipv6 address from my upstream will it not just use that

> > > To a traceroute to 192.88.99.1
> >
> > But the use of 192.88.99.1 is only for translating 6 to 4.  For all
> > ipv6 traffic would it not route straight to me, presuming I advertised
> > my /48 to my upstream.
>
> An interesting idea.  You'll probably run into problems with your upstream
> accepting that route, and even if you don't, tying your v6 address range to

So this would be a procedural thing not a technical thing, I can accept that.

> your v4 assignment is likely to end in sadness.  RIR rules all allow you to get a
> v6 assignment of an equivalent size to your v4 assignment without paying
> any extra (and on the same rules), so my recommendation would just be to
> get a v6 assignment and route that, instead of trying to mangle your 6to4
> range to do something it really wasn't built for.

Yes... starting the process