[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Jul 3 10:46:26 EST 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 12:30:07AM +0000, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker wrote:
> > because it's horribly supported and has no way to perform deterministic routing because it's based on an anycast address.
> > To a traceroute to 192.88.99.1
>
> But the use of 192.88.99.1 is only for translating 6 to 4.  For all ipv6
> traffic would it not route straight to me, presuming I advertised my /48
> to my upstream.

An interesting idea.  You'll probably run into problems with your upstream
accepting that route, and even if you don't, tying your v6 address range to
your v4 assignment is likely to end in sadness.  RIR rules all allow you to
get a v6 assignment of an equivalent size to your v4 assignment without
paying any extra (and on the same rules), so my recommendation would just be
to get a v6 assignment and route that, instead of trying to mangle your 6to4
range to do something it really wasn't built for.

- Matt