[AusNOG] another ipv6 Q

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Thu Jul 3 10:30:07 EST 2014

Answers in line

And from another email

> because it's horribly supported and has no way to perform deterministic routing because it's based on an anycast address.
> To a traceroute to 192.88.99.1

But the use of 192.88.99.1 is only for translating 6 to 4.  For all ipv6 traffic would it not route straight to me, presuming I advertised my /48 to my upstream.

So I would have thought there is a general rule
2002::/16 via 192.88.991
And if I inject a
2002:ca4a:2000::/48
It will have preference longer mask length ?

So the only pit fall I see if I get rid of the ipv4 space I lose the ipv6 space as well or if the 2002::/16 is going to disappear

Alex

Okay true, I still call /24 class C.

> > What if any pitfalls are there for using the ipv4 in ipv6 address space ?
>
> Not sure what you're referring to here.  Did you mean?
>
> * The v6-mapped prefix ::ffff:0:0/96?  That isn't *actually* routable
>   space.  It's a convention for allowing software to handle v4 and v6
>   addresses by only implementing v6 support (more-or-less).
>
> * The SIIT prefix ::ffff:0:0:0/96?  That's an absolete translation mechanism
>   that really should be avoided.
>
> * The 6to4 prefix 2002::/16?  That's workable if you've got a local 6to4
>   tunnel endpoint, but it's really much better just to get native or
>   fixed-tunnel (if you have to) IPv6 connectivity.

So why do I need a 6to4 end point. You saying to get from ipv6 to ipv6 I need to go via a 6to4 gateway.

> * Something else entirely.  Please expand.

I am wondering what are the plans for the 2002/ space is it going to be reclaimed, is 6to4 going to be deprecated.