[AusNOG] RFC7278 - "Extending an IPv6 /64 Prefix from a Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Mobile Interface to a LAN Link"

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Jul 2 21:31:42 EST 2014

Hi Mark,

  Going a bit off-topic, towards IPv6 in general as I'm still catching
up on the standards of use for IPv6, but I am yet to understand the
reason for recommendations to give such large blocks to customers?

  You talk about a /64 being handed out to customers, even this I found
exceptionally large for a home, which even with smart devices becoming
the norm would you say its likely to reach 100 needed IP's? let alone
thousands?

  You go on to say other RFC's are even trying to recommend /56's, or
even /48 to be better by your own personal opinion. Why so large? Why
not /96's or even smaller?

  I'm in no way knocking the idea, I am genuinely curious as to the
reasons behind the recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Joe