[AusNOG] Layer 2 NextG Product

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Jul 2 12:59:05 EST 2014

Hi Andrew,

There is no reason MPLS over GRE (assuming private APN, MPLSoGREoIPSEC if public APN) shouldn't work or plain old L2TPv3, MTU issues not withstanding.

Are you trying to make your BGP speakers adjacent?  If they are the same routers as the 3G interface is installed on, vanilla GRE will solve this issue at much lower CPU cost than IPSEC or any of the above.

I know we tried this on our Optus 3G product and when it didn't work were told that the Optus network won't route Layer 3 addresses other than the pushed framed-ip to a given 3G SIM.

This strikes me as odd unless Optus specifically filter BGP.  Is it something simpler like needing to enable BGP multi-hop on your peering sessions as they cross from the 3G network into whatever tail you have terminating them?

Cheers,

Ben