[AusNOG] GRE Tunnel MTU suggestions

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Jul 1 17:22:41 EST 2014

Hi Joseph

MSS is the size of the payload inside a TCP packet, so basically the IP MTU - TCP Header = MSS

Assuming Cisco gear (L2 headers not counted in MTU calculations), then the back of the napkin maths gets you:

IP MTU 1500 Bytes = [ 20 bytes IP Header ] + [ 1480 Payload ]
GRE IP MTU = [ 1480 bytes Payload ] - [ 4 bytes GRE ] - [ 20 bytes Inner IP Header ] = 1456 bytes
MSS = [ 1456 bytes GRE IP MTU ] - [ 20 bytes TCP Header ] = 1436 bytes

Cheers,

Ben