[AusNOG] Fwd: [nznog] heads up.. gmail now checking ipv6 rdns

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Jan 27 11:32:27 EST 2014

I use Google Apps for 2 different personal domains (including one that's
close to 20 years old!), and we also use it for our corporate email.

In general, catch rate is good. What they don't detect as spam, if you
leave it sitting in your inbox for long enough will probably magically
disappear off to the spam folder which shows that they also do spam
filtering after initial delivery which is fairly unique from what I've seen.

If I have a complaint, it's on the false positive side.  I probably rescue
on average about 5-10 messages per week from my Spam folder.  In fairness,
I subscribe to a number of mailing lists including several anti-spam/mail
delivery/etc style lists, and they seem to trigger fairly heavily on the
body contents in some of those email.  The Full Disclosure list also has
similar problems.  It's rare (if ever) that I have had a person-to-person
email go into my spam folder.

I've worked for 3 anti-spam companies over the years so I have a good idea
of what good and bad anti-spam looks like, and I'd probably give Google a
solid "B" - certainly not the best out there, but still far from the worst.

  Scott