[AusNOG] DC undervoltage issues

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Jan 15 23:39:36 EST 2014

Cheers James and Bevan.

And I assume the "super high price" for electricity is substantially higher
than the cost of running the generators in that period (ie
capex/depreciation + cost of diesel < cost of power)? Can you comment Bevan
on if its close, or far away from utility power costs in general? as in its
obviously more expensive to power the DC via diesel long term (either due
to raw fuel cost or with generator costs included), but how close is it?
and further, how much of a bet/risk is it to purchase the cheaper power
with these restrictions (having to go off-grid or else pay a premium)?

I'm guessing its probably a case of using historical data and just match
things up to work out how many days per year on average, the cost of diesel
and generators during that period, and making sure its less than the X%
more per year paid for utility power with no usage restrictions, ?

Might be another thread for this, or even off-list, but I'd imagine listers
would find this interesting or useful.