[AusNOG] Some ZyXEL routers vulnerable to DoS

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:01:29 EST 2014

Yay CPE SYN DoS \o/

When the open telnet issue was discussed (again... and nothing
happened... again... because hard.) a while back "someone I met on the
internet and have no way of identifying or contacting again" spent some
time actively scanning a few large .au residential netblocks. They
prioritised the open/unsecure telnet services by volume and wrote an NSE
(Nmap Scripting Engine) plugin to authenticate against the top couple
(Busybox) w/ default credentials, dump the configs and default the flash.

Eventually someone else will do the same and they'll actually use it.
Then you'll have something to worry about. This is a really old story. I
did talk to one of the big carriers about it but got Ralph Wiggum.

</broken record>

T.

PGP/GNUPG Public Key: http://d3vnu11.com/pub.key