[AusNOG] Megaport Suspends Accepting New Orders in PIPE DC's

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Wed Jan 15 10:01:23 EST 2014

That is certainly their argument Andrew.

Problem 1
Schedule 3 doesn¹t mention ³occupier² nor is it a test from memory.

.
> [5] Section 1.3, definition of in-building subscriber connection
> equipment
>
> omit the definition, substitute
>
> in-building subscriber connection equipment means a facility installed within
> a building:
>
> 1.
> (a) with the aim of managing and maintaining the supply of carriage services
> to a customer of a carrier; or

Problem 2

When that clause was drafted ³occupier rights² related to effectively to
³squatting² rights hence the following wording relating to easements and
licences.  I should know what the intention was :)  PIPE¹s actions in
accepting LAAN¹s to customers for the past decade reinforces this fact.

As for the reality PIPE/TPG provide customers a service in which they give
the customer the right to occupy space and it¹s nonsense to consider
otherwise.  They provide customers the right to install equipment in a
secure dedicated area, provide 24/7 access (mostly unescorted) with an
access card, provide dedicated power circuits to your dedicated space as
well as cooling to your occupied space - oh and they charge a fee for same
and provide reimbursement of fees if they fail to provide.

In summary, If PIPE wants to change its mind then that¹s their prerogative,
but the intent of the clause is still the same as drafted by PIPE in 2002/3.
Perhaps it should let its customers know that the rules have changed and
that they now consider they no longer have the right to obtain
telecommunications services from competing providers ³as advertised² for the
past decade.  We saw what happened to all of (the old) AAPT¹s facilities
around Australia when that last happened in 2006/7.  The only AAPT
facilities that remain now are the Powertel facilities (with the exception
of East Melbourne which has always struggled).

A cautionary tale for other carriers who maybe contemplating on restricting
carrier access to their faciltiesŠ

Cheers

[b]