[AusNOG] IPSEC time skew renegotiate?

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 7 07:28:28 EST 2014

>________________________________

I'd think it is unlikely that NTP is moving time backwards. Time sync done properly always moves time forwards, just not necessarily at the same rate as real time until time is synchronised (which is why people shouldn't do timesync by putting 'ntpdate' in a cronjob.)

I'm getting rusty on IPsec (I worked with it in 2001/2002), however IIRC literal wall clock time synchronisation wasn't critical to it. However, the clocks do have to be synchronised so that the peers switch to new session keys at the same time, so they both should be using the same time source.

If the session key lifetime is 3600 seconds that does suggest the time change is the cause. I seem to remember one of the signs of a good IPsec implementation was that it did a make-before-break switch over of session keys to avoid packet loss, so if these netscreen ones are good ones, I think it does further support the time change being the cause, because even the make-before-break isn't hiding loss.

So I'd suggest the first step is to make sure both of the IPsec gateways are using the same NTP server.

>IE they may say use an unsigned int to hold the last time
>uint_elapsed_time = current_time - uint_start_time
>becomes hinkey when last time is > current time, it'll either
      error out or wrap and give you an elapsed time that's really huge.