[AusNOG] Rack Studs - AWESOME

Tim Sheahan sheahant at mytelecom.com.au
Thu Jan 2 16:02:44 EST 2014

This has been an interesting discussion to read, and I suspect what I
should really do is spend an hour googling Peter's keywords.

I'll summarize what I think I've learned so far -

  * insulating the rack mounts should be ok and may be beneficial in
    some cases
      o this said, we have plenty of older Cisco mounts which make a
        snug 19" metal-metal fit anyway
  * power cord earths are important for safety / residual current
    devices (ofc)
  * use of grounding pins when provided on gear should be regarded as
    best practice for reduction of signal-interference risk,
    particularly if such ground is not effected via the rack mounts?

For the immediate interest of those here, would anyone care to amplify a
little further on basic best practices?

  - Tim