[AusNOG] Rack Studs - AWESOME

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Jan 2 13:56:42 EST 2014

On 2/01/2014 1:52 PM, Paul Brooks wrote:
> On 2/01/2014 1:38 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
>> VERY cool, though I'd be concerned whether you'd end up with RF issues, because your
>> equipment is now all insulated from the rack? Depends on what gear you have in the
>> rack, and what the local environment is, I guess..
> With the number of times I've had to install rubber washers to isolate -48VDC gear and
> 240VAC gear in the same rack, this is a feature, not a bug (240VAC and -48VDC earths
> should be kept completely separate). Earthing should happen in the power cord, in a
> strict tree-structure, to avoid earth loop currents - not the rack ironwork.

You're thinking electrical electrical earth, I'm talking RF ground - two
potentially (giggle) different things :)  Ideally your case SHOULD NOT
be connected to the Power supply earth - since that's earth, not
ground.  In an RF-sensitive environment, you want your case to be
connected to ground to minimise RF leakage.

Cheers,

Damien