[AusNOG] Rack Studs - AWESOME

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Jan 2 13:52:53 EST 2014

On 2/01/2014 1:38 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> VERY cool, though I'd be concerned whether you'd end up with RF issues, because your
> equipment is now all insulated from the rack? Depends on what gear you have in the
> rack, and what the local environment is, I guess..

With the number of times I've had to install rubber washers to isolate -48VDC gear and
240VAC gear in the same rack, this is a feature, not a bug (240VAC and -48VDC earths
should be kept completely separate). Earthing should happen in the power cord, in a
strict tree-structure, to avoid earth loop currents - not the rack ironwork.

These look great - thanks for the pointer Skeeve.

P.