[AusNOG] Outsourced NOCs

James Morgan James.Morgan at vernet.com.au
Wed Feb 26 11:53:49 EST 2014

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick your collective brains for stories and experience
your or your organisation may have had in the recent or distant past
with outsourcing your NOCs.  I'm particularly looking for information
like:

*         How long you've done it for.

*         Was it well received by customers?

*         Are you happy with how it's working?

*         Have you had any compelling experiences in favour of or
against doing so?

*         Are there any providers out there that stand out to you in
either positive or negative ways?

*         What level of knowledge do you expect out of your outsourced
NOC, and what tools and documentation do you provide to enable this?

The context to this is that we currently outsource ours and I'm looking
to informally benchmark our operation against others, as conventional
wisdom has always suggested to me that outsourcing it is a bad idea.
With that said it seems to be working for the most part, so happy to
hear experiences from others.

Answers on or off-list would be most appreciated, and if off-list will
be kept confidential if you so desire.

Cheers,

James.