[AusNOG] Networking question !!!

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Thu Feb 13 15:06:25 EST 2014

Hi

I have been looking at setting MED attribute for our prefix. I have been looking through the cisco ISO doco mainly http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13759-37.html

What I get is
attach a route-map to a bgp neighbour
use match with access list
then set metric

My query is I already have a route-map in place for path stuffing and it matches on prefix-list so I tried to at the set-metric to the route map but I have been advise from the upstream its not showing up

I have tried
sh ip bgp neigh x.x.x.x adv

that doesn't really show me a Med value... I can see a Weight value , currently set at 32768.

So why I have 2 paths to our provider 1 primary and 1 backup, we would like all inbound to come in the primary.

So we have tried 100 for primary and 200 for backup.

Question

Can I have 2 route-maps for a neighbour
If not how can I do 2 things in a route map with different selectors
So

Permit 10
Match ip add prefix list
Set as path prepend x x x x

Permit 20
Match ip address 1
Set metric 100

I would like both to fire...  and I am not 100% sure with this so I am not sure if I can change the first one to match ip add instead of match ip prefix

Okay so after all that, let me rephrase

On IOS how can I set MED on outgoing BGP and also AS stuff.