[AusNOG] disposal of equipment

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 12:32:57 EST 2014

I typically boot from a livecd/usb and point `shred` at the block device
to run a multi-pass overwrite and erase. Realistically, this process is
almost always enough.

If you want to be way paranoid for the sake of being way paranoid and
spend a bunch of time doing it then pull the disks and put them in a
drill press.

The relevant standard is NIST 800-88 'Media Sanitisation Procedures',
which suggests a single pass overwrite is typically sufficient, though.

T.

PGP/GNUPG Public Key: http://d3vnu11.com/pub.key