[AusNOG] 10G routing

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Fri Feb 7 13:25:25 EST 2014

Hi

Q)  am I being unrealistic to think I should be able to get 10Gb/s routing/firewall in a vm? (or cheap hardware solution)

I know there are very expensive Big name boxes out there, but I am wondering what other people are thinking / using.  I guess I am not thinking core telco stuff but more for business end user.

I have had a bit of a test of the current soft routers and love interfaces, love the price (not so much the brocade vr5400..)

Did some testing of a home built centos 6.5 box  I was able to get up to  8Gb/s  routed and firewall rules in place, but writing a system to manage it I have better things to do :)

My general feel currently is they are not ready yet, trying to get up over 1Gb/s was rather hard..  General feel on yvos was it should work out of the box ...

My next question

Any one played with one of these
CCR1036-8G-2S+: 36core Cloud Core Router with 8GbE 2x 10Gbe SFP

They say they can get 28Gb/s routed with firewall rules in place ....

Thanks