[AusNOG] Bigpond/Foxtel MDU Cabling Standards

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sun Feb 2 17:01:59 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have a question related to the cabling infrastructure in MDU's relating
to Bigpond Cable/Foxtel infrastructure.

Btw.. this is not my premises (related to the previous post about my
fault), but the complex of my parents-in-law.

The basic story is that Telstra Cable/Foxtel is in the premises, and some
units can get it.

A Bigpond tech tried to do an install, but due to cabling/building cavity
issues, they couldn't get to where they needed.

This is fine.  The body corporate has approved getting contractors in to
run the HFC cable from the units affected to the roof where the cabling
infrastructure is.

The question is... I don't know how to advise the cablers who are quoting
on the work, what we need them to do from a termination/standards point of
view.  Do they:-

- Leave the cable un-terminated in the roof?
- Put something on the end of the cable?
- What is the specific kind of cable that needs to be run to support
Bigpond Cable and Foxtel?
- Anything else I should know?

Thanks all for any wisdom you can assist with.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering