[AusNOG] Constant IPv6 pinging by Akamai

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Dec 29 10:43:02 EST 2014

On 12/29/2014 01:02 AM, Jeremy Visser wrote:
> Assuming it is telemetry to determine the best PoP, then rate-limiting is something I really don’t want to have to do because it will show up as packet loss from Akamai’s perspective and I could end up with a suboptimal PoP as a result.

I am not sure about it yet.
I think this is a big list enough to somehow find a contact in akamai to
sort this issue into a more sane scale.
It's not exactly like that but the next analogy will demonstrate an idea:
Assuming you have a doorstep in Hollywood you would expect some amounts
of door knocks per month.
Assuming you have a doorstep in Brooklyn-heights you would expect more
then in Hollywood.
Assuming you have a 20++ story building like a hotel, how much would you
invest in checking the incoming guests?
Jumping ahead one step, let say akamai guy knocks every hour on your
door and asks you "what age is your kid?" what would be your response?
Some would act differently if this guy would be a police officer a
stalker or a CIA agent.

But still after thinking about it couple times more and spending couple
CPU cycles on it:
- at home I would ban them and will call the nearest police station.
- at work I would redirect them into the coffee corner to enjoy some
drink but again if it's too much the nearest police station would know
about it.
- at a secure facility.. the door man job is.. to know these things and
not me.

I am pretty sure that at home akamai would not need to know any PING
state and\or statistics.

All The Bests,
Eliezer