[AusNOG] Vlan Add - Was Re: Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Wed Dec 24 14:27:23 EST 2014

Maybe I was just being silly but when I started with Cisco switches I just started by copying the whole existing line, editing the VLAN list, then hit enter.

Then one day I made the list long enough that IOS automatically made it two lines, one with the vlan xxx,xxx-xxx,xxx and one with the vlan add xxx.

That was how I learned the add command.

As I had done more juniper and mikrotik before (both which help avoid this issue) and being warned about not putting a command in without being 110% sure that the command I have does what I want then I would probably have made this same error (or just have typed “set vlan members xxx”)

Doesn’t mean I haven’t made any other mistakes, like adding the first additional Switch to a 3750G stack having done software upgrades to bring the stack in line and forgetting to check the boot times. We all make mistakes, but thankfully I had already downloaded the full config from the repository before I started, thank goodness I didn’t get fired for that.

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson
Neilson Productions Limited