[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:09:28 EST 2014

There are 3 parts to this exercise. (IMHO)
Having practised and taught network communications in past years.
Plus having done recruitment-"selling used people" for a short period
I think I have a vague clue.

1/ What you learned from School/Polytech/University (or where ever), are
some basics that are a starting point,
and will enable the journey to begin on a technical level.
2/ Whatever company you end up joining, will do it "differently". They
will have a company ethos that chooses
one particular branch of the tech tree as suiting them better than
another branch. They will also have their
own company reasons for doing so. Roll with it and learn.
3/ This is a fast changing industry, not so much in terms of the
underlying technology,
but more importantly in the management tools, and the business case for
their existence.
Get ready to learn everyday, and be prepared for the Tsunami.

As we head towards a point at which the "intahweb" is just another
commodity, taken
for granted by most, and ending up in the hands of a few players, you
have to wonder if
taking a job at a hydroelectric power station might be a preferable
route to riches and freedom
from mortgage hell, than being the "go to guy" in a data centre or even
an SMB office.

Regardless, just go for it- in this binary world there are only 2
answers- yes or no.
And if they say no, move on to the next one - if your presentation is
good, you have a 30% chance
So, keep the odds in mind.
No one is shooting you down- you just didn't strike lucky on that day.
Keep plugging away, your turn will come.
It's a percentage gameplay. As any recruiter will tell you.
And has little to do with your stats, and much to do with the particular
dynamics on
the day, between the interviewer and you. And if he hung a Xmas
nightclub hell
night yesterday- your chances are nil. He won't even remember your name.

Best time from a recruiters point of view- Oct./Nov. , not sure why, but
it happens.
Also June/July and that is easy- daylight has shrunk, people are
depressed and thinking
about changing jobs,or jumping off the harbour bridge.
So, they start phoning their favourite recruiter looking to change to a
"better" job
and from a recruiters point of view- the merry go round starts rolling.

Ignore my rant, and just go for it. You have nothing to lose.

Alan

On 22/12/2014 8:51 p.m., Paul Gear wrote:
> On 22/12/14 13:19, Cameron Worts wrote:
>>
>> I studied for 5 years (with two years @ uni) back between 2001 and
>> 2006. At the time of studying, we were learning the “industry
>> standards” . Then to go out after completion of my studies to look
>> for a job in the industry was very difficult.
>>
>> 95% jobs I’d applied for, I got a response of “Sorry, but we need
>> someone who already has x years’ experience within the industry”.
>>
>> What’s the point of going out and getting an expensive degree when
>> most employers want employees with these requirements?
>>

> Because many employers require a degree also.
>
> You can debate its value (although I would tend to agree with Chris
> Gibbs' & Tim Raphael's comments about the benefits of a degree), but
> you don't have much room to debate with an employer when their HR
> department stipulates that engineers must hold Bachelor-level
> qualifications.
>
> Paul

---