[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:26:37 EST 2014

See my previous comments - (In the IT Industry) Uni’s can’t keep up with the changes to “Industry Standards” and thus only use the material they teach as a basis for getting students to think for themselves. That expensive degree isn’t for injecting facts into your brain, it’s about developing your learning, research, critical thinking and problem solving skills.

In regard to employers wanting someone with X years experience: coming out of uni and wanting a $70k/yr job thinking you know everything is just naive. Day one fresh out of uni you realise how little you actually know. I got into IT because I did 6 weeks of *unpaid* work experience - this showed my employed that I could think and that I was worth hiring. Sometimes you need to put away your pride and suck up for a bit to get a leg up.

For the OP: this might be what you have to do as times are tough, we all know it. If you are good enough and your potential employer see’s your potential, you’re all set.
It might also take a few different places to find somewhere that you fit in with and that works for you. Good luck!!

- Tim