[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Cameron Worts cameron at perthwebhosting.net.au
Mon Dec 22 14:19:03 EST 2014

I studied for 5 years (with two years @ uni) back between 2001 and 2006. At the time of studying, we were learning the “industry standards” . Then to go out after completion of my studies to look for a job in the industry was very difficult.

95% jobs I’d applied for, I got a response of “Sorry, but we need someone who already has x years’ experience within the industry”.

What’s the point of going out and getting an expensive degree when most employers want employees with these requirements?

Regards,
Cameron