[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Russell Brenner rbrenner at Brocade.com
Mon Dec 22 09:45:31 EST 2014

+1 to advice from Cameron and Macca.

Much like the story everyone has reported, I too started working on a help desk for network operator Peter Vaskess of Netlink Connect (hi Peter if you still read this list).

He taught me I knew very little about an area I thought I knew a lot in and besides his bootcamp, contacts and meeting people led to more opportunities.

I strongly suggest you finish your CCNA even if you never intend to work on IOS. My career has been largely Junos focused but the CCNA is a well structured (and very tough introductory) to networking. It also doesn’t include crap like AppleTalk and IPX like it used to :)

I also recommend you get yourself across SP/DC architecture (basically learn how an MPLS network works and what a fabric based data centre looks like) and pick a coding language you like (Python is a goodie). Whether SDN is a thing now or later, being able to code will be an extremely valuable tool going forward and enable you to be one of the cool kids when it comes to automation.

I am not tertiary qualified but I’ve been able to adapt and be diligently autodidactic, keeping myself abreast of new technology and position my skill set so it suits what the market needs. That’s been my key to success and progression. Also contacts, did I mention contacts? Speak to everyone. Introduce yourself. Become a LinkedIn whore. Seriously. LinkedIn. Important.

Helpdesk is a great start but you’ll quickly want to move on from there.

Network Engineering is a fantastic and exciting profession that is far better supported and more interesting than it has ever been (I’m relatively young in terms of my career and when I started out 15 years ago there was little if any study you could do that was well structured outside of the Cisco program). We’ve moved beyond routers, switches and being CLI jokeys to being appreciated as the guys who help companies in a meaningful way across a broad range of environments.

It’s also why I become a Sales (Systems) Engineer. I get to do all that but I consult with different clients every day to work through their issues to help them be successful.