[AusNOG] Telstra + Pacnet - Just thinking

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Dec 18 07:09:08 EST 2014

I couldn't imagine how painful it would to deal with a Telstra version of
Megaport.  When I got TID ADSL connected at home here last year, somehow
they provisioned it without IPv6  (And that was after having to order it
EIGHT times, because Telstra didn't bother to let me know that the order
was being automagically cancelled the next day due to a wholesaler having a
pending order in for the same service).

30 mins going around in circles to support, and they finally put me through
to an Engineer who said it was a 2- minute change, but he needed me to call
sales to ask for it first.  Six calls and about 3 hours of hell later, I
FINALLY had someone in sales who knew what V6 was.  Six follow-up calls and
six weeks later, I finally got onto an Engineer again, who seemed surprised
that I was asking when my V6 would be enabled, as apparently it had been
enabled for five weeks - just noone ever notified me.  Apparently an IPv6
subnet appearing in Custdata means V6 has been enabled for the service (Not
sure what you do if you have multiple services??), and you just need to
keep checking for it.

Could you imagine going through that EVERY time you spin up a VXC?  YUCK.

On 18 December 2014 at 03:53, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> I know it is speculation... but look at a (maybe) Telstra a year from
> now...
>
> Let's say Telstra owns Pacnet, which means it owns PEN (Pacnet enabled
> Network)... a Virtual X-Connect Fabric, that is already interconnected to
> Megaport and possibly others (anyone like to advise?).
>
> If Telstra integrate Pacnet as is, potentially it means VxC access to
> Telstra (Wholesale?) infrastructure on Megaport and others... and also
> access to the pacific fibre network (46,000 km worth of cable), datacentres
> overseas which would also potentially be on Megaport in places like
> Singapore, HK, etc.
>
> Honestly... I'd like to see what would come of it... and hope that Telstra
> fully interconnect into a marketplace something like the above.
>
> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
> linkedin.com/in/skeeve
>
> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>

> The Experts Who The Experts Call
> Juniper - Cisco - Cumulus Linux - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.