[AusNOG] Carrier Licensing Changes - Residential and small business customers

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Mon Dec 15 10:57:26 EST 2014

Pushing out an NBN based upon a completely flawed business model
(commercial return) leaves parties with only two (2) ways to remedy.
First is to accept the commercial return was simply never achievable and
do a $20B+ write-down, or go the longer path and try to prop up the flawed
business model using protectionism and other un-natural legislative and
regulatory actions.  Both Governments have defaulted to the later.

The greater the failure in the financial model (which was been
horrendously understated by the previous government and passed on to the
current Government) the greater that un-natural acts and the consequences
to industry.  As they say ³two wrongs don¹t make a right².

The consequence is that providers that have worked/invested to deliver
services to customers that have not been adequately serviced are taking a
hit and significant network investment in Australia has now all but dried
up as the level of sovereign risk here is simply too high.

Cheers

[b]