[AusNOG] Management VRF

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Dec 11 12:59:20 EST 2014

Personally - we have public routes / customer routes etc in 'no' VRF (or
the main routing table) then create a VRF for management either on a
VLAN interface or a dedicated interface. We run RFC1918 addressing then
have a VPN front end for outside access for management if required.

We tend to run it across the same routers and switching so its not full
separate protection, just protects against mistake in firewalling or
routing locking out of devices. Our network isn't overly large or
complex either which aids in that decision.