[AusNOG] VyOS Bug - Removing prefix-list rule

Julian De Marchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Mon Dec 8 13:50:10 EST 2014

TL;DR it's not about skill or n00bs, it's about list etiquette and DW
shows none

On 12/08/14 12:38, Michael J. Carmody wrote:
> The questions and their responses help to shape the industry we are in, and the "hand up" that some more friendly operators have provided speak more to their character than this incessant elitist bitching from people who think they are too good to help, or at worst ignore an email.

You're missing the point mate. Help is fine when you have tried other
avenues to get "such" help.

When you email a list with question "foo" and no indication you have
tried the dedicated forums, irc rooms, search engines etc, you'll get
people calling it out.

Read DWs posts and see. It's lets go straight to ausnog from the looks
of it. This is un-professional as it shows you have no ambition to try
and solve the issue yourself. For someone regularly asking for work on
ausnog, this is a bad look. I wouldn't hire someone like this at all and
to make it worse the problem solving skills(lack of) are on a public
list where many managers who do the hiring lurk.

So if you are going to ask questions on a public mailing list, make it
darn clear you have exhausted other avenues before you asked.