[AusNOG] Netflix, AWS and Softlayer vs. Australia

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri Dec 5 12:19:23 EST 2014

NBNco don't need to do anything per end user for billing, just per RSP.
They could bill RSP's per GB rather than per Mbps. Its up to the RSP's
then to share that out amongst their users how they see fit.
Just monitor the bytes passed through the interface in the POI and job
done. (see how easy it was to say that lol)

I'd be surprised if they didn't already monitor per customer volumes
anyway at some level, knowing how many end users are on which splitter
and how much data they are pushing at what time would be important to
balance congestion. IE the case of 15 heavy users all on the one
splitter, you can shuffle those users onto different splitters in the
one FDH so they don't tread on each others toes.

It wouldn't be such a big thing to monitor either, I mean they don't
need netflows or anything that detailed just bytes per interval per
user, its not a small dataset but then they aren't a small company either.

I can see a split model perhaps working, allow for either per mbit or
per GByte billing I don't know offhand how you would create that package
but anything that adds some flexibility doesn't seem like a bad thing to
discuss.