[AusNOG] Reverse DNS Recommendations

Jacob Kino jacob at interconnekt.com.au
Thu Dec 4 15:27:59 EST 2014

Hi All,

We're in the process of doing some spring cleaning around our network and looking to implement more consistent and meaningful reverse DNS.

I had a look back through the archives and didn't find anything useful in terms of either an RFC (wouldn't have really expected one) or references to guidelines/a standard.

We've performed some analysis on what others do, but due to the design of our network there are some cases where we aren't quite sure what's most appropriate.

Specifically, VLANs seem to present a bit of a challenge as well as links between virtualized firewall instances. I'm trying to come up with a conceptual framework that makes general sense so we can develop something from that, if such a thing exists.

If anyone has tackled this issue and has guidance they can share, that would be excellent - happy for on-list and off-list replies.

Cheers,

Jacob | Interconnekt